This post is also available in: Português (Portuguese (Portugal))
Come visit Marialva, located in the municipality of Mêda, in the district of Guarda
Marialva is just minutes from the city of Mêda. This Historical Village, in a setting that reveals one of the living relics of Portuguese ancestry, takes the visitor to the deepest roots of the country’s history. The streets, lined with buildings resistant to time, lead to the citadel surrounded by the walls whose ruins are easy to lose track of time. Populated by the Portuguese people, it was later conquered by the Romans, followed by the Arabs, until the final victory of D. Fernando, the Great, in 1063, in his emblematic conquest of the Beiras.
The village of Marialva is 7 km from the headquarters of the municipality of Mêda, on the left bank of the Marialva stream. It consists of three distinct nuclei: the Citadel or Village inside the Castle, now depopulated; the Arrabalde that extends the Village beyond the walled area; and Devesa, located to the south of the citadel, which extends across the plain to the Marialva stream, and rests on the ancient Roman city.