Come visit Peso da Régua, a Portuguese city in the Vila Real district, in the North Region
Peso da Régua is thought to have originated in a Roman house that existed here, the “Villa Reguela”, but its great development took place after 1756 with the creation of the Royal General Company of Agriculture of the Vineyards of the Alto Douro, which instituted the 1st demarcated wine production region in the world.
Located next to the Douro River, this location played a major role in the production and commercialization of Port Wine, as it was from here that the casks of wine were transported in boats to Vila Nova de Gaia, where the wine aged in the cellars.
In this region, the vineyards cultivated in terraces on the slopes next to the river offer beautiful panoramas that can be admired from the many viewpoints in the area, especially those of São Leonardo in Galafura and Santo António do Loureiro.
Nearby, the thermal spa of Caldas de Moledo, located on the right bank of the Douro, has its own anchorage and is a pleasant place for a relaxing holiday.