This post is also available in: Português (Portuguese (Portugal))
The cold is taking over Portuguese homes and a survey by Fixando to 6,300 people, between January 1 and 15, 2021, points to a ‘widespread hypothermia’ that caused the demand for heating services to skyrocket in just 67%. 15 days.
The conclusions were:
– 44% affirm that their house is thermally uncomfortable;
– 59% say they feel their home is colder compared to the previous year;
– 54% consider the thermal insulation of their home to be very deficient;
– The most used equipment to heat the house are: the fan (27%), the oil heater (26%), the traditional fireplace (19%), the stove (16%) and central heating (16%);
– On average, respondents spend an additional € 15 / month on electricity and gas this winter compared to last winter (with an average value for 2020 of € 69 and 2021 for € 84 per household);
– 68% of respondents say they are very concerned about the potential increase in the electricity and gas bill as a result of a new confinement and, consequently, more time at home;
– 38% say they cannot make improvements because they do not have the financial availability at this time.
The survey also reveals an increase in demand (67%) for home heating services, which, now due to the new confinement, cannot be carried out.
The installation, repair and maintenance service for fireplaces, chimneys and stoves represents 42% of demand, followed by the installation and repair of Air Conditioning and ventilation (29%), Installation and Repair of Heating systems (20%) and Installation and insulation repair (9%).
Professionals in the tertiary sector – which have been in complete disruption for many months – have also reduced the value of some of the services to be provided in this area of Heating.
For example, compared to January 2020, when the installation, repair and maintenance service for Fireplaces, Chimneys and Salamanders was around € 145, now around € 91. The air conditioning and ventilation installation and repair service was also reduced compared to January 2020, as it now stands at € 148 against € 156 the previous year. The installation and repair of Heating Systems increased by € 542 (in January 2020) to € 608 (in current January).