MONSANTO’s TOURIST OFFICE
Rua Marquês da Graciosa – 6060-091, Monsanto
277 314 642
Guided tours subject to availability and subject to availability.
LUCANO OR CLOCK TOWER
This old bell tower bears a symbol that made Monsanto “Portugal’s most Portuguese village” and is of great importance to the local residents.
On the top of the tower is a replica of the silver cockerel that the village received in the National Information Service competition in 1938.
This church dates back to the 16th century and served as the parish church until the current parish church was built.
Its style is renaissance and it is located in Largo do Pelourinho. It has three altars, an image of St Peter and imagery on the stations of the Cross.
HOUSE OF FERNANDO NAMORA
The house was built in 1931. The writer worked as a municipal doctor in Monsanto from October 1944 to October 1946.
The façade bears a plaque quoting from his work A Ship of Stone, published in 1975: My last books and in their final form were written in the village.
HOLY SPIRIT AND ST SEBASTIAN’S GATE
This was the eastern entrance to the village.
The gate has a round arch with an arrow loop on either side and a turret above.
PARISH CHURCH OR CHURCH OF ST. SALVADOR
The portal has a round arch based on imposts.
Its frame boasts geometrical decoration and is topped by a frieze.
Above it, across its whole width is the inscription: SAN SALVADOR, referring to its patron saint. The rose window is also outstanding. On the side, façades are niches in which we can see Manueline gaps and on the south façade is a portal with a round arch, but no imposts or frame.
Inside, its three 3 naves are separated by three round arches based on cylindrical columns with volute capitals. High choir, pulpit, side and collateral chapels.
These are covered with two classic stone baldachins.
Mannerist, baroque, rococo and neoclassic altarpieces in multicolored carvings Images of artistic interest, some in granite, and tombstones.