1 to 2 lbs. (1/2 to 1 kilo) Fresh or frozen mussels.
1 Med. – Onion diced
2 to 3 Clove – garlic
2 Tbsp. – Tomato paste
2 leaf – Bay leaf
1 Tbsp. – Honey
1/2 Tsp. – Cumin
1/3 Cup – Red hot peppers
3 to 4 Tbsp. – Olive oil
Splash or two of red or white vinegar.
1/2 Cup – White wine (optional)
1/4 Cup – Unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste.
Green onions for garnish.
- Keep your pan on high heat, because you do not want to steam your items but fry them. I always like to take some time to properly fry the tomato paste to bring out its full flavour.
- Also, when cooking at high heat, then you need to keep an eye on it for it can burn in a few seconds. So keep your pan moving.
- Remember that this dish is yours and you know what your family and friends like. So it is important to keep tasting it along the way and adjusting it to your liking.
- Here I am using frozen mussels and they have been opened for me. The reason I used frozen instead of fresh is that I know a lot of people around the world would be able to find it easier in frozen packs.
- I will be doing another video on fresh mussels, very soon.
- When reducing the sauce, please keep it on high heat and keep it moving. As soon as you can get a clear streak of sauce on the pan bottom, then you know it is done and ready.