Casa Fotografia Alvão was founded in 1901, having been inaugurated on January 2, 1902, at Rua de Santa Catarina, in the city of Porto, by photographer Domingos Alvão.
Currently closed due to the covid-19 pandemic, the house combines photography, on the 1st floor, and gastronomic products, being a very popular place for tourists. The property of Casa Alvão was acquired by the then Portuguese Institute of Cultural Heritage (IPPC), Arnaldo Soares, in 1982, after two years of negotiations, which gave rise, in 1981, to the opening of the classification process.
The estate was temporarily deposited at the Soares dos Reis National Museum, for later treatment and installation in an appropriate place for its conservation, study, and dissemination.
In 2001, the documentation was totally transferred to the CPF’s final headquarters, in the building of the former Cadeia da Relação, in Campo dos Mártires da Pátria, in Porto.
The documentation of this fund includes images relating to surveys of the Douro wine-growing area, factories, hydroelectric plants, dams, hospitals, economic districts, exhibitions, inaugurations, congresses, personalities, landscapes, uses and customs, regions, Portuguese towns, monuments, urbanism, land transport, studio, and group portraits.